This art project was created as a way for my daughter and I to celebrate our Blessed Mother for the beautiful month of May. I’m thrilled to share it with all of you! It makes a wonderful May Crowning activity and a very special way to celebrate Mother’s Day honoring the Mother of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
You Were Born to Be a Saint by Kortnee Senn is one of my favorite faith-based picture books to share with my girls. Not only are the illustrations beautiful, but it is full of historical information that helps our children understand more about the lives of the saints. And this spread for the letter “O” really helps with this art project because children can use it as a visual to decide what kind of colors they want to use if you want to give them some more creative freedom (great for older kids who can add more details).
Here is what you need to make this art project:
- 12″ x 18″ white sulphite (heavyweight construction) paper
- 12″ x 18″ colored or painted paper for background
- Crayons or oil pastels
- Liquid tempera paint (blue, white, yellow, brown)
- Large & medium brushes
- Scissors & glue
- Templates (included in free project download)
- Optional: Gold glitter paint
- Painted paper scraps for flowers
Here is how it all came together:
- Using a black oil pastel or crayon, trace the head and praying hands templates (if needed) in the center of the white paper. Use the video or drawing guide included in the project guide to draw the whole figure.
2. Paint Mary’s veil a light sky blue. Dip a large brush into blue paint, then into white and paint on the paper mixing blue and white together. This creates a tint of blue and beautiful value in the art. And it’s so fun for kids!
3. Paint the halo yellow. Then paint Mary’s hair brown or black. Mix brown and white to make a skin tone for her head and hands. Set aside to dry completely.
4. Cut out the Mary painting once it is completely dry. Using a black oil pastel, trace over the lines to make them stand out. It really makes the art pop! Then add facial features.
5. Glue to a colored paper background. For a special sparkly finishing touch, paint the halo with gold glitter paint! Kids love this stuff.
Optional: Cut out some flower shapes from scrap papers and “crown” Mary with a flowers crown.
Let us know what you think in the comments below! Or snap a picture of your finished project and tag us on Instagram @littleholyhearts
Wishing you a very happy Mother’s Day!